The Association of Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria (ATCON), has finalized plans to host a National Dialogue on Telecommunications and ICT Sector in Nigeria.
ATCON under the leadership of Mr Olusola Teniola, said that the dialogue will focus on the theme “Harnessing the Digital Resources for the building of our National Economy” and will hold in Abuja.
He further stated that the growth across all sectors of Nigeria’s economy is expected to be exponential as a result of the resolve by the Federal Government of Nigeria under the Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy to drive the entire economy through digital resources.
According to a statement signed by the Executive Secretary of ATCON, Mr. Ajibola Olude, “This National Dialogue on Telecoms and ICT”,“is targeted at changing the narrative of our country’s development through the optimal utilization of digital resources and to achieve this, State Governors, Ministries, Agencies and Sectors like Agriculture, Education, Oil & Gas, Health, Industry, Trade and Investment, Security and Defence have been invited along with telecom and ICT companies”.
Adding that the supply side which is comprised of Telecom and ICT Companies and the demand side which is made up of all the Ministries, States, Local Governments, Nigerians and Non-Nigerians are expected to have higher level of productivity on the condition that they adopt and leverage on the opportunities presented by the digital economy to improve their output.
He said that the strategic dialogue plans to bring together the Presidency, National Assembly, relevant Federal Ministries, State Governors, ICT State Commissioners, Telecom and ICT Operating Companies, World Bank and other international relevant agencies.
“The strategic objectives of the proposed National Dialogue are as follows
- To channel collaborative efforts toward Nigerian Digital Economy with the sole aim of accelerating our economy’s performance in relation to other leading African countries
- To serve as a forum to discuss the recently launched documents on Digital Economy and take stakeholders input for implementation.
- To optimally X-ray the factors that have worked for and against the telecom and ICT sector in Nigeria.
- To discuss regulations and policies around AI, IOT and Blockchain
He also mentioned that industry thought leaders have been invited to do justice to the following panel sessions:
- Digital Economy in Nigeria: Challenges and Opportunities
- Private Public Partnership and Development of Mechanism for the seamless Management of Inter-Ministries and Agencies: an imperative for Broadband Infrastructure Development in Nigeria
- National Funding and Investment Strategy for Broadband Infrastructure and Digital Economy: The Importance of Education and Awareness
- Regulation on Emerging Technologies (AI, IoT, Robotics, Blockchain, etc): Leveraging on Nigerian Young Population’s Innovation and Creativity for National Development
There shall be a special sectoral discussion tagged “Harnessing Digital Resources for Sectoral Effectiveness and Efficiency for National Development”
The special session discussants are:
Minister, Federal Ministry of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu; Minister, Federal Ministry of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire; Minister, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Alhaji Mohammed Sabo Nanono; Minister, Federal Ministry of Defence, Major General Bashir Salihi Magashi (Rtd); Minister of State, Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources; Chief Timipre Sylva and Minister, Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, Otunba Richard Adeniyi Adebayo.
“One of the overriding deliverables of this national dialogue on telecoms and ICT sector is that the adoption of digital resources by all aforementioned sectors would lead to development which would eventually make Nigeria to join the league of the top 20 global economies.